please join us for our next TH Renters meeting next Weds in the basement of St George’s Hall, 236 Cable Street, E1 0BL. The venue was booked for our normal Tuesday so re-arranged it for Wednesday – hope that’s okay for people.
- Chrisp St market regeneration: we’ve held three successful stalls gathering emails and personal stories, and are proposing carrying out a consultation with residents who will be affected. But planning permission is yet to be submitted. What next: more stalls, consultation, pause, or something else?
- Balfron Tower: plans to leaflet the block – that is inhabited mainly by property guardians – on their rights and how can we solidify fragmented interest in campaigning against its complete sell-off on the private market.
- Stop the Blocks: feedback on plans for a weekend of action in July to highlight the sell-off of land and property to private developers across Tower Hamlets including Balfron.
- Chapman House: Victory for Michael. A private tenant we’ve supported for the last 18-months looks set to remain in his home after three attempts by the landlord to kick him out for reporting dangerous conditions to the council. Hear about this amazing victory!
- Landlord licensing: TH is mid-consultation on introducing a scheme, but after a recent change in the law and the type of scheme being pursued the majority of the borough may not be covered. Should we do more than just respond to the consultation: maybe ask a question at full council?
- A new private renters’ issue to campaign on: With the new government offering nothing in the way of protection or security for private renters it’s left to us to highlight and tackle the problems facing private renters, so what should be our next project? Letting agents (are they fulfilling their obligations under the Redress Scheme and Trading Standards), creating info leaflets for tenants (research shows most don’t know their rights), a poster campaign (creatives needed :o)?
So lots to discuss and the more input the better! Please get in contact if you have any questions – hopefully see you next Wednesday, 10th June, 7-9pm.